Looking for the best mini air conditioner to meet your needs? Maybe you can't install a stationary conditioning system, or you need a personal solution for an office — either way, a nice mini air cooler may bring you desired relief from the summer heat.
The primary advantage of mini coolers is their compact shape that can be accommodated conveniently in a small space within your room or office. The portable nature of these appliances adds an extra edge to their presence. Are you feeling sultry in your living room? Transport your device for a relaxed TV session, or you can have a relieving afternoon nap in your bedroom.
But how do you choose the right one out of all the options out there? This guide is here to help you explore and decide.
Differences Between an Air Cooler and an Air Conditioner
Let us take a closer look at some differences between an air cooler and an air conditioner in multiple aspects related to the working of each device.
- Cooling Method. An air conditioner uses a chemical coolant called a refrigerant to cool the air. It converts from vapor to liquid form and passes through indoor evaporative coils, thus lowering the temperature. Air coolers have a simpler cooling method of passing air through wet absorbent pads. There is no risk of refrigerant leakage involved, and you only need water to maintain the temperature.
- Energy Efficiency. Air conditioners take the help of compressors to cool down a room, which requires massive amounts of electricity. On the other hand, air coolers use motors to pull and cool air, which is a much more energy-efficient method of cooling.
- Climate Considerations. Air coolers are recommended for use only in areas with low humidity, as they hydrate the air too. Air conditioners can be used anywhere, since they circulate the internal air and cool it down with the help of powerful condensers. But while using them you might need a humidifier, as they do dry out the air.
- Maintenance. Air conditioners are very costly when it comes to their maintenance. It requires experienced labor in addition to a significant amount of money, whereas air coolers are budget-friendly and easy to maintain.
From the above-mentioned differences we get a clear idea that air coolers use a more straightforward, energy-efficient cooling method than commercial air conditioners. The maintenance cost of these easy-to-use devices is also lesser than air conditioners. However, coolers' only drawback is that they are more efficient in dry and arid areas, while air conditioners are universally operated.
What to Consider When Buying a Mini Air Cooler
Let us take a closer peek at some factors that should be considered before choosing or purchasing a mini air conditioner or cooler.
- Size. The dimensions of the appliance are the primary factor to keep in mind while seeking out any sort of air-cooling device. A particularly-sized cooler option should be chosen whilst keeping the size of the place in mind. This can be done by the calculation of cubic feet/minute (cfm) for a residential or professional space — divide the volume of the user's room in cubic feet by two (minutes).
- Cooling Power. Air coolers of distinguishable varieties sport different cooling powers. You should choose a mini air cooler with a high enough capacity to cool your space conveniently. Selecting a cooling appliance with a lower cooling capacity will do no good. Similarly, selecting a mini cooler that packs tons of power might only lead to a greater consumption of electricity than is necessary to cool your space.
- Energy Efficiency. The more a product is energy efficient, the less electricity it consumes. Therefore, you should choose an energy-efficient air conditioner that cools down your space by consuming as little electricity as possible.
- Warranty and Support. One must only opt for a cooler manufactured by a company that provides a warranty and guarantees excellent and efficient after-sales support. Most companies nowadays that manufacture air-cooling machines provide both.
- Noise Level. Depending on the model, the quality of the device, and the fan's speed settings, an air conditioning unit can emit noise of anywhere between 30 and 82 decibels. In contrast, an air cooler makes minimal noise while functioning, with a sound rating between 25 and 45 decibels.
- Versatility. A modern mini air conditioner is able to not only provide you with fresh air, but it can also take care of the quality of air you breathe by humidifying and purifying it. So, don't settle for the basic set-up; make use of the versatility modern technologies have to offer.
- Adjustable Speeds. Almost all portable mini swamp coolers manufactured these days come with different speed settings. When shopping for one, you must always choose one that features several speed-adjusting settings for your comfort and convenience.
- Water Tank Capacity (for Evaporative Air Coolers). When you have a large space you need to cool down, you must choose an evaporative air cooler featuring a huge tank capacity. Similarly, if you need one for usage in a small room, a mini air cooler with a lower capacity will do the trick.
Why a Small Air Conditioner Is Better Than a Large One
When deciding on your new air conditioner, you can suppose larger is better. However, this is not ultimately true. Of course, the larger gadget can produce a more powerful airflow, but you should consider whether you really need it. Here we provide several arguments for buying a smaller device.
- Expenses. You’ll pay more for a larger device, not only in the initial transaction but also in terms of utility costs. Review your utility bills before choosing a larger air conditioner — the next payment may upset you. Even if you choose the A+ device with minimal energy consumption, it needs power to run.
- Installation and movement. You can install or move a smaller air conditioner by yourself. However, the larger units can be as massive as 213 pounds (almost 100 kg). One person can hardly complete the installation or movement, and you'll need some assistance. If you plan to hire a serviceman for this, do not forget to add this payment to the total amount.
- Cycle length. There is a specific problem you can face when your air conditioner is oversized. Most air conditioners have a temperature sensor. When the device cools the room too fast, the cycle lengths can take just ten minutes. First, this sharp temperature gap is not good for your body. Health care professionals are familiar with this problem — they record a growing number of respiratory infections due to air conditioners' impact in summer.
Second, this cycle is too short for changing humidity levels. If you want to cool down the room AND change the humidity level — decrease or increase it — you need time for this. Properly sized air conditioners run longer but more effectively.
At last, the frequent but short cycles wear your equipment out — the number of starting-up and shutting-down cycles increases because the device satisfies the cooling load quickly. After a certain number of cycles, you will face the necessity of repair work.
It would be unfair to say that large air coolers do not work at all. For a shopping mall, offices, halls, and large homes, you will obviously need something massive and powerful to cool the air, especially in hot climates.
However, if you live in a small house or apartment, it does matter for you. You're better off buying an additional mini cooler for a bedroom or work area to make it comfortable. Cooling your space by zones would be more reasonable than installing a huge system that will not work correctly. You can find a list of the top five mini coolers in the next section.
Top 5 Mini Air Coolers
The quantity of portable air conditioners available on the market can seem overwhelming. So to help you navigate through them, here are the five most promising choices, taking into account the criteria mentioned above.
1. Evapolar evaSMART
Evapolar evaSMART 3-in-1 Mini Swamp Cooler
The Evapolar evaSMART is a 3-in-1 mini air cooler that cools, humidifies, and facilitates in cleaning the air of dust and germ particles so the air is suitable and healthy for breathing. This air cooler is compatible with the Amazon Alexa and also functions with different home assistants. It can be managed with a smartphone application that allows for control of all the various features remotely, with the help of Wi-Fi.
Price. The Evapolar evaSMART evaporative cooler is priced at $199 (plus shipping)
- Portable and easy to use
- Remote mobile app and smart home control
- Low electricity consumption (12.5W)
- Award-winning design
- Water refill cycle up to 9 hours
- USB powered
2. Breezewell 2-in-1
BREEZEWELL 2-in-1 Evaporative Mini Air Cooler
The Breezewell 2-in-1 is a compact mini air cooler that offers a bladeless experience, which adds to the safety factor. This attractive-looking cooler does not have a compressor, which makes it free from chemical refrigerants. All you need to do is put in some ice cubes or chilled water, and it will cool its surroundings.
This air cooler has three speed settings and four different modes, as well as the swing feature, which facilitates in evenly distributing the air throughout the room. The cooler is designed to offer beauty and performance at once. The presence of a built-in handle makes moving this cooler around very easy.
Price. The Breezewell 2-in-1 evaporative cooler is priced at $195.
- This air cooler is very energy-efficient, i.e., it consumes very little electricity.
- It is very easy to handle, as well as to use.
- Some customers have posted complaints regarding the cooling quality.
- Some customers also placed complaints stating the air cooler increased the humidity.
3. Dyson DP04
Dyson DP04 Mini Air Cooler
The Dyson DP04 is a compact and portable air cooler that contains a purifying fan that facilitates the cleaning of a whole room. This mini air cooler features a 360-degree filtration system containing activated carbon. The system allows for the removal of harmful gases and odors. It manages to capture almost 99.97 percent of pollutants.
The air cooler also sports a technology called Air Multiplier, which allows for the circulation of purified air throughout the room in a coordinated manner. It also attentively senses any changes in the quality of the air and displays the information of the pollutants present on the in-built LED screen.
Price. You can purchase the Dyson DP04 by paying $449.
- This air cooler is very easy to assemble and use.
- The quality of materials used to build the cooler is exceptional, which promises durability.
- Some customers complained about the quality of the fan.
- The absence of a UV light may be a concern for some people.
4. LG LP1217GSR
LG LP1217GSR Mini Air Conditioner
The LG LP1217GSR is a compact-looking mini air conditioner that can cool rooms with areas of up to 400 square feet. This portable conditioner comes with an LCD remote controller, which makes it more convenient to control the appliance. The bucket-like design of this mini air conditioner makes it compact and portable.
Price. The LG LP1217GSR is available on Amazon at $429.
- This air conditioner cools a big room conveniently and efficiently.
- The fans circulate the air evenly throughout the room.
- This mini air conditioner makes a lot of noise while it operates, which can be an issue for some customers.
- The outer shell is made of plastic, which makes the appliance very susceptible to damages.
5. MIDEA EasyCool
MIDEA EasyCool Window Mini Air Conditioner
The Midea EasyCool air conditioner features a 3-in-1 smart technology that manages to combine the conditioning of air with dehumidification in addition to different fan-only modes. It provides super-fast and power-efficient cooling, which can conveniently cover rooms of up to 550 square feet. It is loaded with unique and creative features, such as a digitalized LED display panel.
The installation process is quite easy, as well. All accessories come packaged with this mini air conditioner. With the help of a screwdriver, you can easily assemble the parts and install the product.
Price. The Midea EasyCool is available at a price of $389.99.
- It takes around ten minutes to cool an entire big room.
- The remote control that comes with the air conditioner is well-built and adds to its convenience.
- Customers have complained about the after-sales service on this air conditioner.
- The price might be a bit expensive for some people.
So, What Should We Buy?
Let’s review the key characteristics of the top five models we reviewed to help you choose the best mini air conditioner.
|Evapolar evaSMART||- Portable and USB powered
- Low electricity consumption (12.5W)
- Award-winning design
- Water refill cycle up to 9 hours
- Remote mobile app and smart home control
- Compact size
|- Possible issues with Wi-Fi setup process
- Temperature units cannot be changed
- Lights cannot be turned off manually
|Breezewell 2-in-1||- Energy-efficient
- Easy to handle
- Easy to use
|- Some users report low cooling quality
- May increase the humidity
|Dyson DP04||- Easy to assemble and use
- High-quality materials and durability
|- Complaints about the quality of the fan
- Absence of UV light
|LG LP1217GSR||- Cools a big room efficiently
- The fans circulate air evenly throughout the room
- Outer shell is plastic, which is susceptible to damages
|MIDEA EasyCool||- Takes around 10 minutes to cool an entire big room
- Convenient remote control
|- Some customers have complained about the after-sales service
- Price is not overwhelming but still a bit expensive
Evapolar is one of the most often-chosen options thanks to its affordable price, compact size, nice design, and low energy consumption. You can use it as an effective personal mini air cooler in your home, office, or during a car trip.